We base our approach to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) on the following statement of principle:
We know our business is stronger, more innovative and more successful when it has a range of opinions and perspectives, and that comes from diversity.
Our staff, and wider network of authors, freelancers and contributors, should feel they belong and are empowered to work with and for us.
To further our understanding and approach in this area, we have appointed an EDI Guardian, to champion this topic across the business. The Guardian is leading on an action plan, that includes the following steps:
- Educating the organisation of the risks of Unconscious Bias, through online resources and training.
- Recommending and overseeing policy changes, including more flexibility in culture holiday options and recruitment policies.
- Writing company language guidelines so that our company language in marketing, online, internally and in recruitment is inclusive for all.
- CV Anonymisation during recruitment.
- A checklist for company decision points where there might be a risk of bias.
- A fresh eyes approach, where we invite different members of the team to attend frequent meetings and provide new perspectives.