SENIOR DESIGNER (Maternity Cover, Full Time – 6 months fixed term contract)
Pynes Hill, Exeter (with some days working from home during Covid restrictions)
Closing date for applications: 21 September
We’re looking for a Senior Designer to join our in-house design team on a fixed term contract, initially for six months. The successful candidate will be primarily focused on the design of our books, including interior layouts, covers and jackets. They will oversee all areas of the process, from initial ideas and design concepts right through to finished artwork ready for production. They will also provide creative support to marketing and sales teams and ensure consistent application of the company branding.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A keen interest in design, who can bring fresh ideas and creative insights into the team
- A sound knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- A knack for typography and complex text layout
- A team player who can collaborate but also take responsibility for their own workload and work to tight deadlines
- A good communicator who can liaise with appropriate departments and external freelancers to meet excellent standards of design quality
- A sound knowledge of production and print processes
- A holistic approach to design, taking into account print finish options on the overall design outcome of the book, to ensure the best possible end product
- Experience in photography styling or an interest in developing this skill
- Previous experience in middleweight/senior designer role (2 years minimum)
We have a relaxed and friendly working environment with very little hierarchy and all staff are encouraged to contribute ideas that might help in our success.
The position includes 25 days holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays. There is an openness to flexibility in working patterns and we make statutory pension contributions through an auto-enrolment scheme which includes the option for Salary Exchange.
Pro-rata salary: £22,000 – £23,500 depending on experience.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter with a link to a digital portfolio to email@example.com. Interviews will take place in Exeter later in September.